Heavy rainfall and damaging winds for South East Queensland as ex-TC Debbie makes her presence felt.
Mayor Allan Sutherland said current weather predictions showed heavy rainfall in excess of 200mm could be experienced in parts the Moreton Bay Region today, particularly later in the evening and into Friday.
“In the event of severe weather, stay indoors and please limit all non-essential travel. Remember: if it’s flooded, forget it.” Mayor Sutherland said.
“Council will work closely with the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) and emergency services to closely monitor the impacts of predicted severe weather.
“Monitor any local impacts by keeping an eye on BoM’s weather warnings, radar images and rainfall gauges, which can be viewed on BoM’s website.
“Roads and drainage crews and the SES will be on standby to monitor any potential impacts.”
Stay tuned to local media outlets for the latest weather updates, and visit BoM’s website to monitor your local conditions, including weather radar images, rainfall gauge and river height information: http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/warnings/
Sandbags will not stop flood waters entirely. However, suitable placement of correctly filled bags may reduce the amount of water that enters your property.
Sandbag locations in the region include:
- Arana Hills – Arana Hills SES, 2 Pine Hills Drive (off Jinker Track), Arana Hills;
- Beachmere – Rogers Street Sports Ground, Rogers Street, Beachmere;
- Bribie Island – Bribie Island SES, 208-224 First Avenue, Bribie Island;
- Caboolture – Caboolture Council Depot Car Park (opposite depot), Commercial Drive at Machinery Parade intersection, Caboolture;
- Deception Bay – Deception Bay Council Depot carpark, Old Bay Road, Deception Bay;
- Elimbah – Opposite the church in the median strip, Coronation Drive, Elimbah;
- Margate – Opposite Council Depot, Jull Street, Margate;
- Narangba – Oakey Flat Road, Between Raynbird Road roundabout and Sovereign Drive roundabout, Narangba;
- Petrie – Petrie SES, 3 Woonara Drive, Petrie;
- Toorbul – Toorbul Community and Sports Centre/Toorbul and Donnybrook Pensioners Club, 1774 Pumicestone Road, Toorbul;
- Woodford – Woodford Council Depot, Mary Street, Woodford;
- Woodford – Woodford Memorial Hall (rear car park), 109 Archer Street, Woodford.
For more information about sand bagging visit Council’s website – Sandbags
Road closures are updated frequently during major weather events. For a list of current known road closures in the region, visit Council’s website – Road Closures
Chermside Road, Mango Hill, already submerged.
For emergency assistance with damage resulting from heavy rain, contact the SES on 132 500.
Local residents and businesses can register to receive free alerts about severe weather and flash-flooding events via text or voice message and e-mail. Register online at MoretonAlert or call council on (07) 3205 0555.
Council encourages people to be aware of the potential impact of heavy rainfall around their property. Flood maps are available for download from Council’s website – Floodcheck with handy hints on how to be storm-ready.